In England, the YONEX ALL ENGLAND OPEN BADMINTON CHAMPIONSHIPS 2023 tournament welcomed, as usual, a panel of international athletes, including some French. We could see the POPOV brothers, Thomas Junior and Christo, but also others, such as the women's duets Margot LAMBERT and Anne TRAN and the men's duets, Lucas CORVEE and Ronan LABAR but also the mixed doubles, Thom GICQUEL Delphine DELRUE.
Concerning the French performance :
Thomas Junior, a regular at the Orléans Masters with 6 participations to date, did not manage to qualify for the quarter finals either in men's singles or in men's doubles with his brother, Christo POPOV. They are expected to play in the new edition of the Orléans Masters 2023.
Same result for our mixed duo composed of Thom GICQUEL and Delphine DELRUE, the women's double, Margot Lambert and Ann TRAN and the men's double composed of Lucas CORVEE and Ronan LABAR.
On the podium of this tournament, none of the players who passed through the Orléans Masters Badminton were unfortunately retained :
However, we can underline some very good performances during this tournament, like the mixed doubles of the Indonesians Rehan Naufal KUSHARJANTO and Lisa Ayu HUSUMAWATI, who we could see during some editions of the Orleans Masters, but who unfortunately had to lose in the semi-final against the Chinese ZHENG Si Wei and HUANG Ya Qiong in 2 sets 1 (21-17, 13-21, 21-13). But also the Malaysian LEE Zii Jia, who we saw during the 2017 edition of the Orleans Masters, who despite his defeat in the semi-final against the Chinese SHI Yu Qi in 2 sets 0 (21-19, 21-13) still played well.
Moreover, we will have the honour to welcome this year Anders ANTONSEN, the 14th in the world in men's singles, who reached the semi-finals, but lost to LI Shi Feng in 2 sets 1 (11-21, 21-19, 18-21). His name will probably ring a bell, as his brother, Kasper ANTONSEN, has played 4 times in the Orleans Masters tournament.
Regarding the results of this tournament :
- Women's singles: the Korean, AN Se Young and currently 2nd in the world, wins against the Chinese CHEN Yu Fei in 2 sets 1 (21-17, 10-21, 21-19)
- Men's singles : Chinese LI Shi Feng wins against his compatriot SHI Yu Qi in 2 sets (26-24, 21-5)
- Women's doubles : the world 3rd, KIM So Yeong and KONG Hee Yong win against their Korean compatriots, BAEK Ha Na and LEE So Hee in 2 sets (21-5, 21-12)
- Men's doubles: the Indonesians ranked number 1 in the world, Fajar ALFIAN and Muhammad Rian ARDIANTO win against their colleagues from the same country, the 3rd in the world, Mohammad AHSAN and Hendra SETIAWAN in 2 sets (21-17, 21-14)
- Mixed doubles: the Chinese world number 1, ZHENG Si Wei and HUANG Ya Qiong win against the Koreans, SEO Seung Jae and CHAE Yu Jung in 2 sets 1 (21-16, 16-21, 21-12)